Protected Area Management in Southeast Asia, 2003
Between April 1-5, 2003, members of the World Commission on Protected Areas (WCPA) held their 3rd Southeast Asia Regional Meeting in the Philippines. It was there that they reflected and exchanged ideas regarding the creation and management of protected areas in their respective nations, areas that involve the protection of forests, biodiversity, and the communities that depend on them.
This zip file holds the experiences of regional practitioners as of 2003 in protected area (PA) management in Southeast Asia. It highlights the variety of regional examples of work in and around protected areas management.
The Powerpoint presentations in this zip file are varied and represent different socio-economic and political situations within which the countries in the region operated. Due to these differences, a wealth of strategies and tactics with a distinctly national flavor emerges. It is an opportunity for you to take a glimpse into the challenges of making PA management effective and relevant, from the very people who made it happen from all over Southeast Asia.
Examples of presentations include:
- "Identifying potential protected areas in the Sierra Madre mountain range, Luzon Island, Philippines."
- "Integrating PA management with provincial development plan: Batanes case."
- "Formulating and implmenting ICM in Vietnam with emphasis in NHA Trang area."
- "Training judges to be partners in conservation."
- "Philippine National Ecotourism Strategy."
- …and 36 more covering different socio-economic and political situations in multiple countries in Southeast Asia.
This download includes:
- One (1) PDF file entitled "Building Building on Lessons from the Field: Protected Area Management Experiences in Southeast Asia" - Proceedings of the IUCN-World Commission on Protected Areas 3rd Southeast Asia Regional Meeting.
- (41) Powerpoint presentations (PPS files) in no particular order.